Saturday, November 22, 2008

First week in the army!

Hey all,

So this is going to be a very short post because it is way too late and I have to wake up way too early to go back to base. I just wanted to fill everyone in on what has happened since my last update.

As I had mentioned earlier my garin went down to Eilat, a resort city in the south, for a nice little vacation before we got drafted. It was a lot of fun and most of the garins from other kibbutzim were also in Eilat at the same time we were. We had a lot of free time to hang out, go to the beach, etc. Also we rented the big yacht type ship that slighlty resembled a pirate ship. We sailed out about half an hour from the coast of Eilat and went swimming. The view was spectacular, we saw the Jordanian city of Akabar, all of the hotels of Eilat, and some very blue water.

Anyway, last sunday I was officially drafted and was taken to the base I am going to be doing basic training at. The base is located about midway between Haifa and Tel Aviv. This is a fabulous location because most of my friend's have to go about six or seven hours south of where our kibbutz is to get to their base.

The first week has been pretty low-key because we had to fill out a bunch of forms, meet all of our officers, and get used to army life. The real basic training will start this coming Wednesday. We haven't done much this week other than standing in line ups for hours at a time, ocasionally move a bunch of rocks, and do some push-ups. Nothing too exciting.

Well I planned to write a much more interesting detailed report of what is going on but I ran out of free time and I have to go to sleep!

So, until next time!

3 comments:

Billie said...

Dear Aaron,
What a nice surprise to open the Brotherhood newsletter and see your interview there. I must admit this was "bashert" as I don't usually download the thing. We've been trying to "go green" as much as possible....any bill or news that we can receive electronically is preferable to hard copies. So, although I always receive the email telling me the newsletter is online, I don't always look into it. How fortunate that this time I did!

I run into your parents on occasion, so I knew you were in Israel. I hope that your time in the army will fulfill whatever dreams you have. I can't say that I know too many people who have made this choice, and I am a bit awestruck. I just wanted you to know that the friends and neighbors back in New York are following your story and thinking of you! Shalom!

SToNZ said...

Hi Aaron-
We missed you at the family Thanksgiving! It's not the same here without you, but we are thrilled that we were able to chat with you by phone for a bit.
Best of luck in the weeks ahead-
we'll keep an eye on the blog to see what you are up to.

We love you!
Aunt Susan in Cleveland

Johnny Kosher said...

Aaron,

ill make this quick since im in class and have to go BUT im also from NYC, im planning on coming on aliyah this summer as part of garin tzabar 09. you blog is really interesting esp. since im always looking for any detail i can get about army life. please keep posting. stay safe